How to Repair Severely Chemically Damaged Hair
With hair color trends constantly changing, there is no surprise that many of us are suffering from severely chemically damaged hair. When you add in heat-styling, tight hairstyles, and poor haircare routine habits, you’re sure to get stuck in a damaged hair rut. It’s important to understand the main causes and repair chemically damaged hair and that cab be through in-salon treatments that will help, and learn about an arsenal of the right products and tips to win your healthy hair back with a repair of chemically damaged hair. Here are the causes and tips on how to repair chemically damaged hair.
3 major causes of damaged hair:
Here are the 3 main causes of severely chemically damaged hair
Chemical hair dye
Dying hair wrong and without taking proper precautions can strip your hair’s natural oils, leaving it dry and brittle. We recommend staying within 2-3 shades of your natural color to limit damage. Hair becomes chemically damaged when harsh chemicals used in perms, brazilian blowouts, hair color dyes and bleach attack the protective outer layer of your hair (the cuticle), leaving cracks in the exterior. For example, hair color penetrates the cuticle in order to access the cortex that changes the hair. The hair cuticle is the outermost part of the hair shaft, made up of dead cells. This layer protects your hair shaft. When your hair is severely chemically damaged, the cuticle wears away, exposing the cortex.
Related Article: Tips for Coloring Hair at Home
Drastically changing your hair from dark to light will cause damage if your stylist isn’t taking it slow with sessions over a period of time. When hair is bleached, UV rays and other environmental stressors will suck out all of the moisture in your strands, leaving hair dry and frayed. Continuous bleaching is one more cause for severely damaged hair
If you’re using heat styling tools too often, avoiding a heat protectant, or if you keep the heat setting too high, chances are your hair will be more prone to breakage, especially if it’s colored.
Learn how to identify severely damaged hair.
Signs of Chemically Damaged Hair:
Key signs of severely chemically damaged hair:
- Lack of moisture through your mid-shaft to ends
- Dramatic change of thickness
- When wet, your hair feels more slimy rather than wet
- You can visibly see split ends (when the hair shaft splits into two or three fragments)
- Dulled shine
- Lack of elasticity
- How to test: stretch a strand while it’s wet - If it breaks without stretching, that means there’s no moisture in your hair. You want your hair to be stretchy, which shows you have normal elasticity
Understanding the signs, here are key techniques to follow on how to repair chemically damaged hair
Treatments that will help repair severely chemically damaged hair:
Products that can help repair severely chemically damaged hair.
Pai-Shau Signature Hydrating MulTEA Treatment & Blow Out
If you are experiencing dry, brittle hair, the Pai-Shau Hydrating Ritual Collection is a must. It includes the Replenishing Hair Cleanser, Replenishing Cream Conditioner (conditioner to strengthen hair), and the Supreme Revitalizing Mask (Moisturizing mask for hair) The Replenishing Hair Cleanser promotes healthy growth and leaves the hair feeling soft, silky and full of shine. The Replenishing Cream Conditioner will detangle your hair while adding shine and moisture without the weight. Lastly, the Supreme Revitalizing Mask will completely nourish and revitalize your hair. This hydrating mask gives volume and makes your hair feel soft and luscious. The icing on the cake to this perfect hydrating Pai-Shau MulTEA Treatment is adding in our Biphasic Infusion from our Enhance Ritual Collection to the ends of your hair. The Biphasic Infusion is an oil-free rejuvenating concentrate that contains a potent amount of our Signature Tea complex. This “Liquid Gold” serum smooths, softens, enhances shine, protects and nourishes the hair. Use these treatment products to repair chemically damaged hair.
In most cases the extremely popular Keratin Treatment can help you repair severely chemically damaged hair. This smoothing treatment puts natural keratin into your cuticle to reduce frizz and add shine. Keratin also calms your texture making the maintenance of your hair a lot easier. Thus, you’ll be less tempted to manipulate your hair in other ways such as heat styling tools and tight hairstyles. We recommend this treatment for coarse, thick hair.
Tips on how to repair severely chemically damaged hair:
Key tips on how to repair chemically damaged hair
- Avoid harsh products to the scalp, since that’s where healthy hair starts. When shampooing your hair, use chemically free products that are not so harsh and don’t have ingredients such as parabens and sulfates. Pai-Shau’s Replenishing Hair Cleanser promotes healthy hair growth because it has a combination of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals essential for restoring hair. This product removes build-up without stripping necessary oils, leaving your hair soft, silky and full of shine.
- End your wash with a cool rinse. Cold water tightens cuticles and pores, which helps your scalp from drying out and prevents the natural oils from becoming clogged.
- Use a hair mask in place of your normal conditioner once a week. Our Supreme Revitalizing Mask infuses your hair with weightless moisture and intense hydration. BONUS TREND: Apply this mask to your hair during the day and comb through. This gives you a “wet” look that’s super cute and will treat your hair at the same time. It’s a win-win!
- Avoid heat-styling and tight hairstyles all together. Mixing both of these together on top of already chemically damaged hair is a HUGE no. Instead, embrace your natural hair. If you’re extra cautious for at least a year, you’ll see a dramatic change in the health of your hair. It’s a commitment, but well worth it!
- Visit your stylist to cut all of the dead ends off in a timely manner. Sometimes, you need to chop it all off in order for new, healthy hair to grow. If you’re dealing with split ends or breakage, hydration will help immensely but you need a fresh start or those split ends will keep splitting.
- Consistently seal the ends of your hair daily with our Biphasic Infusion --aka-- Liquid Gold. This oil-free daily treatment has the largest concentration of our Signature Tea Complex. It penetrates deep inside the cuticle to nourish the hair's structure, which attracts moisture and locks it inside.
All this pro tips can help you repair severely chemically damaged hair
So, that’s it! If you have any additional questions about Pai-Shau products or how to repair severely chemically damaged hair, feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com.