Everyone has a different kind of hair. Some of us are curly. Some of us are pin straight. Some are bright blonde, dark brown, dyed pink and all natural. But no matter what our hair looks and feels like, it all starts at the same place: our scalps. The scalp is literally where our hair begins. According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, our scalps have about 100,000 follicles. Each one has a single strand of hair that grows from it. That is 100,000 opportunities every day to improve ourselves from the head down!
Our scalp produces natural oil called sebum that serves as a skin protectant, keeping it moisturized and free from debris and bacteria that could cause infection. Because a healthy scalp also means healthy hair growth, our scalps can be the key to growing healthy beautiful hair. So, how do you take care of your scalp?
Here are five ways you can take better care of your scalp to promote long shiny hair.
1. Use high-quality, gentle products. Even minor scalp problems can lead to damaged, broken hair that is dull and lifeless. Products with sulfates, alcohol, and harsh chemicals strip away your natural oils. This is a compounding problem for your scalp. An irritated scalp limits growth and dulls its shine, creating a cycle of damage and unhealthy results. Instead, use high-quality products that infuse your hair and scalp with nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Pai-Shau’s Signature Tea Complex, found in all our products, accomplishes this and more, promoting beautiful shine and healthy hair treatments that start at the follicle.
2. If your scalp is itchy, it needs your help. Treat it. When the oils break down on our scalp, the skin becomes inflamed and irritated. This can cause dryness and itching. But worse, when the oil is stripped away, so is your skin’s protection. This means itchy skin could also signify the potential for infection. Treat your scalp with hydrating products that soothe the skin and can help restore the natural balance and create an environment for healthy growth.
3. Follow directions and massage the shampoo into your scalp. Most shampoos instruct you to massage the product into your scalp. Note: Massaging is not scrubbing it aggressively. When you scrub your scalp too hard, you can irritate it. Instead, massage your high-performance products gently into the scalp. This promotes circulation and healthy growth.
4. Incorporate more antioxidants. Oxidative stress damages the hair, skin and body—including your scalp—with free radicals. By increasing your antioxidants, both through diet and with products like those from Pai-Shau, you extend their benefits, fortifying your scalp and your hair with the nutrients they need to live their best lives.
5. Look for Rooibos Tea. This powerful tea, also found in our Signature Tea Complex, contains protein to help strengthen hair. It also features anti-inflammatory properties to soothe the scalp of any irritation. When the scalp is healthy, like a well-tilled garden soil, it provides a fertile place for healthy growth, delivering beautiful shiny hair.
Ultimately, a healthy scalp will help deliver healthier looking, shiny hair that’s full of life. Ensure your scalp stays at its best by using high-quality products and key ingredients that support growth and wellness from the top down.